Off Route (June 4, 2011)


Today's 50 mile route to Lincoln City was partially off of the (cycling) beaten path.

Along with the various road and cycling maps issued by the State of Oregon, I often use the very detailed maps issued by the Adventure Cycling Association. I think most touring cyclist also use these Adventure Cycling maps.

Coming out of Tillamook, if you follow the Adventure Cycling maps, you ride toward the Three Capes Scenic Route. This route includes two difficult climbs ... climbs I did last year traveling the opposite direction.

Instead of taking this route, I took Highway 101 which took me inland away from the coastal climbs. This route provided a gently meandering and slightly downhill ride through beautiful dairy farming country. This route allowed me to rest my legs tired by the previous day's climbing. Once back to the coast, I was back on the "approved route" which includes a wonderful side-road ride on Old Highway 101/Slab Creek Road. This ten mile detour off of Highway 101 is a joy. The first two miles are fairly flat and follows a stream ... lots of blue jays and robins. The next three miles consist of a fairly difficult steady climb which leads to a most enjoyable five miles of coasting down hill, to return to Highway 101. This side route allows cyclist to avoid a horrendous climb, and is a wonderful break from traffic.

Yes, I am very glad I took Highway 101 out of Tillamook, but truth be known, I missed the turn to the Cape route. Oh well, if given a lemon, make lemonade.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry we couldn't connect on the roads around Elma. But our hearts will be traveling with you. The adventures sound great. We are experiencing our own piece of adventure on the roads you traveled last summer. The northern Cascades are truly glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Randy - it's Wendell. I'm up to my own adventure right now. 2200 miles with the family up the coast from LA to the redwoods. Then back through tahoe and Yosemite. Watch for updates on highway 1 around Big Sur. The highway is closed in both directions due to a mudslide. You'll have to go out of the way to get around it if it's not open when you get there.

    Safe travels

    ReplyDelete