Out Onto the Road (May 29, 2011)


As with most things in life, with bad comes good.

My two days in Seattle were spectacular (the good following my train travels). Linda and Ned Scary's hospitality is unrivaled in my travels. Seattle is an amazingly beautiful (read green) area. Along with my many visits to The Urban Bakery and walks around the Green Lake area, I enjoyed a beautiful ride with Ned.

Ned and I had planned on doing a three-day ride west of Seattle, but due to some ongoing health issues and impending rain forecasts, Ned felt it wise not to head out for an extended ride. Ned and I did go out on a 52 mile ride on Saturday on an urban bike/pedestrian path that runs along the shore of Lake Washington. What a great day ... good weather and great conversation. I cannot thank Linda and Ned enough for a wonderful stay.

Sunday found me boarding the Seattle-to-Bremerton ferry. The one-hour crossing went quickly as I had met a young lady who was also traveling via bike. Stacy, who lives in Seattle, was also heading to Balfair State Park. We talked cycling and touring ... she has done extensive touring and has that "far away" look of most touring cyclist when speaking of past travels. As I had a few things to do in Bremerton, we separated at the landing.

Later, at the State Park, Stacy and her husband stopped by for a leisurely chat. Along with our discussing bike touring, they spoke of a planned boating trip they hope to experience in the near future. The route is called "The Loop" (or something like that), which includes boating up the Atlantic Coast, across the Erie Canal, through the Great Lakes, then (somehow) to and down the Mississippi River, returning to the starting point via the Gulf. Goes to show there are all kind of adventures out there. A most enjoyable conversation.

First day of travel felt good at only 29 miles of pedaling. Will do several days of relatively short days so as to get the legs strengthened. I have opted to head southwest toward Astoria, OR, rather than up and over Olympic National Park due to the forecasts of daily rain ... Olympic National Park is listed as a "rain forest" for a reason, so opted to avoid that area.

Feels good to be out on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment