International Cyclist ... (August 27, 2010)


Here I am ... made it into Canada and will be heading south to Lake Erie tomorrow. After three months of saying "... then across the Canadian shoreline of Lake Erie ...", I am finally here.

The adjacent photo is of the Blue Water River, where I crossed into Canada via a ferry at Marine City, MI. The river is indeed "blue water". Really stunning (the color of the water does not really show in the photo, but believe me, it is a stunning shade of light blue).

I am coming to realize that the Atlantic Ocean is getting close ... about three more weeks, or so, and I should be at Cape Cod. I have decided (for the moment, anyway) to head north toward Maine after Cape Cod, to see the changing of the leaves. After that, return to Arizona and move to Tucson ... I am looking forward to getting off the road. I am not tired of riding, just tired of the off-bike travel (camping, hotels, eating establishments, etc.).

There are some incredible high spots that have occurred on this trek. The latest occurred two days ago. Jane and Jim Hoover live about four miles north of Capac, Michigan. Capac is on an Adventure Cycling route, and Jim has seen cyclist riding past their home for years. He had an opportunity to talk with a cyclist earlier this summer, and decided that he and Jane would offer camping to cycling tourist. What a wonderful and generous thing for them to do. I spent the late afternoon and early evening talking with Jim ... he is not a cyclist, he hikes. He has been hiking the Appalachian Trail the past several years, two-to-three weeks at a time (and yes, he has read "A walk in the Woods"). He said he has received numerous acts of generosity while hiking the Trail, so thought the "cyclist campground" would be a way to "give back". What a great thing to do. Jim is heading off this coming Wednesday for the next section of the trail. Happy hiking, Jim.

Lake Erie awaits.

No comments:

Post a Comment