Placid (August 10, 2010)


There are times and places where we should take the time to realize just how good life can be ... where conditions are such that the pure enjoyment of life needs to be contemplated and embraced.

Last night I camped at Lake Fletcher, IN. This was definitely not a night for contemplating and embracing! Temperatures in the 90's and humidity also in the 90's (I think). No breeze what-so-ever. Sitting in the shade and reading resulted in rivulets of perspiration on every inch of my skin. Sleeping (or rather trying to sleep) in such conditions was not at all enjoyable.

For every down experience, there seems to be an up ... yesterday I ended my ride in Iroquois, IL, a village of approximately 250 people. They have a very nice park on the edge of town; simple, but quite beautiful. After looking at spots to camp, I walked across the street to a cafe to ask about whom to talk with to get an okay to camp in the park. The waitress said she would call the mayor, and he would meet me over by the Village Town Hall.

Mayor Jack Karr, who has been mayor for 21 years, drove up and unlocked his office. He told me I could set-up in his office ... he then turned on the air conditioning. The shower and bathroom were also available for my use. He then advised me that, in the morning, I should go back over to the cafe for a free breakfast (the local banker pays for cyclists' breakfast). On the wall of the mayor's office there are notes of thanks from cyclist who have stayed in these facilities. Quite amazing to receive such generous hospitality ... the mayor shook his head when I told him of being chased out of city parks in other towns.

Two words about riding through Illinois and Indiana ... quite boring. The Adventure Cycling map takes riders off of the main highways onto the farm roads. I think the entire Midwest is covered by farm roads on a one-mile grid. Following this route allows you to see corn on the left and soy beans on the right ... or soy beans on the left and corn on the right ... or corn on the left and corn on the right ... or soy beans on the left and soy beans on the right. Exciting stuff.

Tonight I am in a hotel (air conditioned) in Wabash, IN and will be heading to Fort Wayne, IN tomorrow. Weather forecasts call for rain ... great way to spend a birthday, riding in the rain.

Getting closer to the Atlantic Ocean ... life is humid.

4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Randy. Did you happen to write any new laws for the town while you were in the Mayor's office, great opportunity there.

    Take Care, enjoy the sights, as Uncle Clyde would say, nice little corn/soy field ya got there.

    Again, Happy Birthday

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, Randy! Plans to call throughout the day were thwarted by the next thing I had to do. Now the kids are asleep, the clothes are washing, I'm ready to call...and it's too late as I think I have to add a couple of hours to the time and I don't want to wake you.

    I'm so glad you got the mayoral treatment on (the day before) your birthday!

    Ride safe, talk soon,
    Marcie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday. Didn't know IN and IL were so boring. Hopefully, you'll find some interesting travels for next summer.
    See you in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Personal New Year~
    Garmon for Mayor! R-A-N-D-Y, R-A-N-D-Y! Love the posts...honestly...rivulets! That is straight from SHS Advanced English...you really should write a book!
    Take care...ride safe~
    NO'B

    ReplyDelete