Tourist (September 2, 2010)


I am, along with a great number of others, a tourist here in Niagara Falls, Ontario. I find it hard to believe how many people are in this area purely for the reason of looking at the Falls.

The streets leading to the Falls are much like a carnival. Loud music and lots of wax museums and other such typical "tourist attractions". After being out in the hinterlands of Ontario, following the Lake Erie shoreline, I find this area to be quite a shock to my senses. I am not quite sure what the attraction of "The Falls" is, other than it is one of those "must see" geological features. Since this is Labor Day Weekend, the place is packed.

My ride across Ontario has been quite enjoyable ... lightly traveled roads and attractive landscapes. There is much more agriculture than I had anticipated ... lots of tobacco, peppers and corn. At times I thought I was in Indiana, but the huge lake off to my right always brought me back to Ontario.

I am heading across the Rainbow Bridge back into the U.S. today. Think I will find a cheap hotel and take another day of rest. The New England area is expecting to get hit by a hurricane, so I am thinking that being in a tent is probably not a great idea ... also I am tired, so think a day of comfort is in order.

Cape Cod is about 600 miles away, so the end (actually the Atlantic) is getting close. I am not at all sure about hanging around, after Cape Cod, to see the leaves change color ... Arizona is calling.

2 comments:

  1. did seeing Niagra falls in person help you understand why people like to go over the falls in a barrel? haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur on the underwhelming nature of Niagara Falls. I was quite interested in the amount of empty lots on the U.S. side. I wrote about it on New Bohemians; interesting how the NE is so vibrant in places, and others are just bleeding away.

    ReplyDelete