Refreshed and on the Move (August 6, 2010)


On the move and feeling good.

The final day of RAGBRAI was a pure joy. There was such a party atmosphere as we glided down the final hills into Dubuque that I found myself smiling and laughing along with the other riders and the citizens of Dubuque who lined the streets. Great fun. I look forward to future RAGBRAI rides, and thank the other members of "Team Pearl Snaps" for making the week such a joy. By way of explanation, "pearl snaps" refers to the snaps/buttons on the western-style shirts worn by some of the denizens of the bus.

After saying my good-byes to one-and-all, I loaded-up my bike with my panniers and headed south along the Mississippi River to Bellview, IA. After a somewhat confusing "campground" quest, I ended up at the Bellview State Park. After setting-up my tent, I joined some other campers for a few beers and conversation. Subsequent to the beers, I headed to the shower-house ... took a great hot shower only to discover (while drying off as best as one can with the high humidity) that I was in the women's shower. Oh well, guess it gave the lady something to talk about (although I thought the pointing and laughing was rude on her part).

The next two days I enjoyed 40 mile days riding on the Great River Bike Trail on the Illinois side of the Mississippi River. These two days proved to be just what I needed ... easy days to allow my body to regroup. On Tuesday, I pedaled into Davenport and was picked-up in the downtown area by my cousin Larry. Larry and Ilene live in a very nice and comfortable house in Davenport. Two days of resting and seeing the sites of Davenport were also what my body and mind needed.

So here I am, back out on the road and heading east. Spent last night in Kewanee, IL after an easy 40 mile ride, and will be heading to Henry, IL today ... another easy 40 mile day. I have decided to do the rest of my journey in short mileage days and try to soak up some history along the way. I am guessing that I have about 1500 miles remaining and think I will be getting to Cape Cod sometime in Mid-September.

Hopefully wi-fi will be available more often than in the recent past.

I am feeling good, and very enthused about the remaining ride. Dare I say it ... life is good.

3 comments:

  1. Riding days with shorter distances sounds as though it is a good idea!! Have fun. See you in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy almost birthday Randy! Good to hear that you are safe and "On the road again"... Mak and I hiked just south of the falls that I took you to a couple of years ago...beautiful NW day...no humidity! Ha! Take care...ride safe...Life is very good.
    NO'B

    ReplyDelete
  3. No doubt, Ragbrai is truly a phenomenon. My family greeted me at the finish line - a great ending to a weeklong party. We're in New Orleans at the moment, slowly driving our way back to AZ.

    BTW, since riding with you and ragbrai for 3 weeks, my appetite is still raging, even though I haven't been riding. How does one turn it off? ha-ha

    Your momentum heading east sounds great - looking forward to more posts.

    ReplyDelete