Off to Glacier N. P. (June 20, 2019)


Many a day and many a mile have passed since gloriously sailing down the west face of McKenzie Pass.

The fifty mile ride into Eugene, though tiresome, was relatively easy.  Spent a couple of enjoyable days in Eugene with Nancy O'Brien ... always enjoy my visits to the very bike-friendly city.

The next phase of travel started very early on Monday, June 17 ... 5:30 A.M. train to Seattle.  The train ride was very comfortable, arriving mid-day at the Amtrak King Station.  From there, I had the task of making my way through the downtown area to catch the Washington State Ferry to Bainbridge Island.  I had anticipated that this was to be a somewhat troublesome task due to my proclivity for getting myself misdirected.  As it turned out it was a mere ten minute, eight block ride.  I arrived at the preloading area for the ferry about five minutes prior to loading ... thirty minute boat ride and I was at my end-of-day destination.  Glory be, not an iota of misdirection adding to my day.

The following day I rode the forty five miles to Port Townsend, for which about 2/3s of the ride was enjoyable.  But, that remaining 1/3 was not high on my "let's do that again" scale.  Hills and enough misting rain to require donning rain jacket and pants ... off-and-on ... both the rain and the jacket/pants.  Thankfully, the final fifteen miles into Port Townsend was dry and sunny. 

After arriving at my motel, showering and resting, I walked to the old town section of Port Townsend.  Very interesting collection of architecturally ornate three and four story brick structures dating back to the 1880s.  Some have been beautifully restored (as the adjacent photo shows), while others await being saved. 

From Port Townsend I took the ferry over to Whidbey Island, then rode the thirty five miles to Anacortes.  My long time riding partner since 2012, Kim Basinger, had arrived in Anacortes the prior day after spending a couple of weeks on Vancouver Island.  It is a joy to reconnect after not seeing her since I abruptly stopped my participation, due to health issues, on our ride two years ago.  This trip is somewhat of a continuation of what we had planned for back in 2017.

So today we head out towards Glacier National Park ... two-and-a-half weeks (or so) of riding through the Cascade Mountain range.  I rode this route in 2010 ... wonder how my legs have aged. 

No comments:

Post a Comment