Crashing Against the Rocks (June 10, 2019)

Currently I am relaxing at Bill Burk's wonderful home south of Bend, OR.  It has been four days since leaving Portland, and there are tales to be told about a few of those days.

However, my thought of the moment is to how the next several days will unfold.

The photo is of the McKenzie Pass area ... the road over the Pass runs between Sisters and Eugene, and the ride down the west face is one of my favorite rides ever ... 21 miles of pure bliss.  Here is another rider's description.

So here is my dilemma ... I have laid out a schedule that includes riding over the Pass this coming Thursday, but just received word that there is road construction scheduled for Thursday and that the road will be closed.  My current schedule has me arriving in Eugene on Friday in order to spend the weekend with Nancy O'Brien. 

So do I bypass McKenzie Pass and hold true to my schedule, or do I ride over the Pass on Friday and shorten my stay in Eugene by a day?  Not a major dilemma, but a decision is required.

In John Steinbeck's "Travels with Charlie", he talks of the beauty of flexibility concerning schedules when on a long-term trek.  He cautions that many a sea captain crashed his ship against the coastal rocks when steadfastly adhering to his scheduled headings.

So that is my dilemma ... and I hope to not crash against the rocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment