Tao (July 15, 2019)

Tao ... in Chinese philosophy means "the way or the path".

For me, the path(s) are definitely the way.  Since leaving Glacier National Park eight days ago, we have been blessed with a number of paved paths that allow for stress-free, car-free riding.  The Departments of Transportation of Montana and Idaho seem to have been very generous in their consideration for touring cyclists ... with one notable exception which I will discuss later.

Some of the paved paths run along side of the main highways, while others are wonderful rail-to-trail paved paths.  Fortunately for us, a few of the rail-to-trail paths the last few days included a slight downward slope and a slight tailwind ... nirvana to tired legs/bodies.  It would be wonderful if more states would embrace the philosophy of bike touring Taoism and provide separated bike paths ... but then I have often wished for World Peace and I doubt either will ever be achieved.

Since leaving Missoula (after a wonderful rest day), we have traveled the 36 miles to Alberton, the 47 miles to St. Regis, 67 miles to Kellogg (all in Montana), and finally yesterday the 56 miles to Post Falls, ID.

Post Falls is 10 miles west of Coeur d'Alene.  We stopped here so that I could spend some time with high school and college friend Phil Beckhelm, whom I had not seen in some 45 years. Spent a very enjoyable evening with Phil and his wife Libby ... unfortunately Libby had to put up with Phil and I talking about people and events that she did not experience.  But she smiled and allowed us to reminiscence about days long gone by, so she should be applauded.

I mentioned earlier about a notable exception (read:  great anger on my part!!) with the Idaho Department of Transportation ... so bear with me if I use some words that I would not say aloud around my grand kids.

So this is my story:  In order to avoid some of the less desirable routes suggested by Google Maps' bicycle routes (often dirt roads/trails with steep climbs) we have been riding the I-90 Interstate Highway.  Riding Interstates, while sounding dangerous, actually is very safe as the safety lane (to the right of the two travel lanes) is about 12' to 14' wide so we can ride well removed from the traffic.  Other than the constant noise, riding the Interstate is okay with me.  Also, other than the possibility of picking up small tube-piercing wires from disintegrated steel belt radial tires (of which I was guilty the other day), there is little risk.

So, we had been riding I-90 safely removed from two lanes of vehicles that most often are traveling at 75 to 80 MPH (them, not us).  At about mile 40 of yesterday's ride (and after a 45 minute grind to get over the 4th of July Pass), we came to an area where, due to west bound lane construction, the vehicles had to merge onto the right-hand lane.  At this point, there was a large sign indicating that bicyclists and pedestrians were to exit the Interstate and traverse the 7.5 mile detour (around a 2 mile +/- construction zone).  The detour included a dirt section of road and two fairly steep and long climbs ... let me say that again ... two fairly steep and long climbs.  Tired legs ... two fairly steep and long climbs.

I rarely get angry when bike touring, but I was beyond irate.  At some point there was a meeting with representatives of Idaho DOT and the contractor in which they decided that it was too dangerous for cyclists to ride through the construction zone ... keep in mind that the traffic in the now merged right travel lane was now traveling at 45 MPH and that the 14' safety lane was probably continuous through the construction zone ... and it was Sunday, so they were not even working!!  So it is okay to ride adjacent to vehicles traveling at 75 MPH, but not at 45 MPH!!!  Extremely irate ...a dirt section of road and two fairly steep and long climbs!!!

But as you can see, I have now gotten over it.  Ah, the unexpected joys of bike touring ... much like life itself.

So here we are in Post Falls, ID.  We will decide this morning if we take a rest day here or ride the 25 miles (on a paved path) to Spokane, then take a rest day there.

Either way, Idaho DOT won't have an affect my emotions.  Ergo, life is good.     

1 comment:

  1. Thought I would write to the Idaho DOT and give them this blog site for their reading pleasure.
    Love your tales -

    ReplyDelete