Steve Correll (July 1, 2015)

A week ago, a friend passed away in his sleep.

Steve Correll was one of those quiet people that we noisey people tend to over look.  Fortunately for me, I got to know Steve via numerous GABA (Greater Arizona Bicycle Assn.) volunteering efforts at SAG stops, post-ride lunches and various registration tables.  Also, we shared many a ride with the weekly Tuesday morning group ride up Mt. Lemmon (although due to the fact that he was an exceptionally strong climber, we did not share many lengthy conversations going up the mountain).

I recall one ride up the mountain when I was feeling quite full of myself as I was hanging with Steve for quite a while ... then I noticed he was pushing his big ring and one of the smaller cog gears (needless to say, I was on my small ring and big cog gear) ... and I was breathing hard and he was effortlessly chatting away.

Two of Steve's qualities that I greatly admire are that he never spoke bad of others, and seemed to be always willing to assist others.  He loved to laugh, loved to ride and loved climbing Mt. Lemmon ... and his love of Melinda was clear to all.

His passing caused me to spend many a mile, over the past week, in contemplation of what awaits us all.  I do not fear death, I just find it interesting that we do not have much control as to how and when we exit this life.  I know there are several trite sayings indicating how we should conduct our lives, but I do believe it is true ... we should think about the quality of our remaining days, not the quantity of our remaining days.

I am happy that I shut down my own noise long enough to get to know Steve ... but I am greatly saddened by the fact that he is gone. 

2 comments:

  1. Ahhhh Randy - what a nice tribute - peg

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friend, Randy. As ironic as it may seem, there is often a gift that comes from a death...or an illness...or a similar tragedy. And that gift is the gift of contemplation. Of introspection. Of gratitude. Indeed, the quality of our days is so very important. Hugs to you, friend.

    ReplyDelete