A Matter of Perspective (July 31, 2015)

Sunrise ... or sunset?

After what can only be described as a very difficult and depressing several weeks of riding into strong headwinds every day, I am very comfortably taking a few days of R'n'R south of Bend, OR.  My good and long-time friend Bill Burk has a wonderfully calm home nestled in the pine country ... quiet, serene and spiritually uplifting ... the world has once again become good.

Since the last posting, I have passed through Lewiston, ID/Clarkston, WA, Walla Walla, WA, and fought the wind along the Columbia River before heading south to the Bend area.  Riding into the wind along the river was extremely difficult ... three days of five-hour rides at around 25 miles per day.  But that is all behind me now.  In a few days I will be heading over to Eugene, then up to Portland (via Amtrak ... yes!!!).  A week from this evening I will once again be placing my feet on Tucson soil (YES, YES, YES!!!).

I am having a difficult time of figuring out this summer's ride.  While I have seen and experienced many locations and things that I have not experienced before, there seems to be an emptiness in it all.  Yes, many a mile was covered, and yes, many a day has gone by since leaving Globe, AZ on March 24 ... but I just can not figure out what I accomplished by doing this ... total mileage covered does not bring to me a sense of purposeful accomplishment (more a sense of "pointless pedaling", as a friend once labeled my adventures).  I met some interesting folks out on the road and continue to communicate with a few of them, which is rewarding.  I saw parts of the country I had not seen before (and frankly, don't plan to see again).  And I am terribly homesick for Tucson.  So at this point I just don't know ...

At this point I am having a difficult time thinking about the possibility of doing, or not doing, future rides.  At this point I am having difficulty in thinking about how to fill my days upon returning to Tucson.  At this point I just don't know ...

Perspective pretty much controls one's mental outlook and decisions ... is life good or bad?  ... does the future hold promise of interesting and challenging experiences? ... and most importantly, what's it all about, Alfie??

Perspective ..... sunrise or sunset?  The adjacent photo was taken at Lake Yellowstone, and is a sunrise.  Maybe that is an omen of where my life goes from here.


_____________

On a side note, today my nephew, Sky, is getting married in Santa Barbara.  Min and Sky, I wish you much happiness, good health ... and a very joyful life together.

On another side note, my granddaughter just celebrated (or rather her parents celebrated) her first birthday ... as is true of all good grandparents, I have a Power Point presentation (of Noe) I can email to you upon request!

4 comments:

  1. Lots of big questions to answer. Looks like you've got your work cut out for you Randy. I see philosophy in your future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Randy, I know you are homesick for Tucson and I wanted to remind you that it is freaking hot here the past few days. Enjoy the coolness in summertime before you come back. Agree with Claire, those are all big questions you may never answer... Sunrises and sunsets are my favorite times of the day because they are usually peaceful and quiet. Sunrise anticipating what exciting things the day will bring and the sunset with an anticipation of a restful night. Looking forward to hear stories in person and hope you enjoy being with Noe soon... usually being with a grand baby makes you forget all your troubles for the time being.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you Randy. TRC for dinner next Monday 6:30? Be there or be square Mr. Garmon. We can figure all of this out.
    Peg and Pete

    ReplyDelete
  4. You offer much to contemplate, Randy. I agree with Claire -- philosophy is indeed in your future -- or perhaps already in your present.

    I hope that returning home tomorrow will be like walking into the warm and welcoming arms of your bestie. Relax into those arms. Reflect on your months on the road. Recall what you liked and what you didn't like. With time, a vision for your future will become apparent.

    And perhaps a renewed interest in touring will arise. But, if not, then that's fine, too.

    Miss you, friend. I'm sorry we didn't get a chance to enjoy each other's company this summer. Let's keep trying...

    ReplyDelete