Taking a break ... (July 2, 2009)


After a leisurely ride along the McKenzie River, I made my way through Springfield (one last head-wind test) and into Eugene.

I kind of thought the City of Eugene might spend some extra money for a reception (marching band and big welcoming sign), but I guess with the budget crunch that government agencies are facing these days, they did the best they could.

Nancy O'Brien, a former Arizonian, has graciously allowed me to stay with her while I am in Eugene. I met Nancy a couple of years ago when several of us did the Oregon Coast ride. Nancy is an avid hiker, and I have discovered that a person does not use the same muscles for hiking as for biking. I can ride 1600 miles and feel okay ... 4 to 5 miles hiking and I am wiped out.

Eugene is a very interesting town ... very bike friendly. I have been roaming around town and discovering a wide variety of neighborhoods and many, many beautiful homes. Landscaping is much different as compared with Phx/Tucson. Green is a natural color here.

Today the temperature is supposed to get up into the 90's ... feels very comfortable to me, but the Eugene-ites have prepared emergency shelters and rescue plans for the heat. Way different from Arizona, I assure you.

My plan is to take a couple of weeks off, and with Nancy's sure guidance, experience the various attractions that abound around Eugene. Once back on the bike, I will be heading east up the Columbia River, through Central Idaho to Missoula, then Yellowstone ... then points east through Nebraska and Iowa.

Feels good to be off of the bike, and out of the tent.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats Padre...that's amazing you've gone this far already, and still have some in the tank. Just goes to show how much fun you're having out there. Enjoy your rest...and give a call when you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I'm a Kansas daytripper--40 to 60 miles per day with the occasional century is more my style than your loaded touring effort.

    But I so admire and envy you for taking on this adventure. And I really appreciate the blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yippee Randy! Hi to Nancy and enjoy Eugene! Hard to believe it was two years ago that we were in Oregon! Monsoons are starting here. Hot and muggy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Randy - nice job. Patricia and I have enjoyed following along.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete