Sufferin' ... (July 23, 2009)


Feeling the pain of not having been on the bike much over the past three weeks.

I flew back to Portland on July 21, after having spent a glorious week in Phoenix. Had the opportunity of spending quite a bit of time with friends and family, which was a true joy.
Upon my return to Portland, I spent the evening with Cynthia Holmes and her sister ... had a great meal and entertaining conversation ... downtown Portland is a great place to spend a summer evening.
I am currently in Lyle, WA, spending the evening with long-time good friend Bill Burk. Bill lives up on a hill overlooking the Columbia River ... what a view. Question: What is it with my friends always living "up on a hill"? First it was Mary Lou and Randall in Utah, now it's Bill. Please consider buying a house on the flats should you have a friend who cycles.

Included in the visit to Arizona was a quick trip up to Payson to see my brother's airplane. Dick has been assembling this "kit" for a number of years, and is very close to having it ready to fly. This is a two passenger airplane that cruises at 70 mph, with a range of a couple hundred miles. I have asked Dick to have someone shoot a video of his first flight (I will post it here when I receive a copy). We all have dreams/adventures ... this is part of Dick's dream; the flying of this little airplane will be the adventure. Well done, Dick.

Back to the suffering ... the last two days of riding have been in the 45 mile range, but have been quite hard. I have lost much of the fitness that I had developed on the ride to Eugene. Now I just need to put in the time on the bike to get that fitness level back. Fortunately, the prevailing winds are from the west, so that is helping.

In addition to the fitness slump, I am experiencing a lack of excitement and motivation for this adventure. I am telling myself this is a result of having spent time away from the bike and with friends, and that the enthusiasm will return along with the fitness. I sure hope so.

I am heading off into the unknown tomorrow. Wonder what awaits me?

No comments:

Post a Comment