Heading to the Northwest (June 13, 2016)

Much to my relief, another summer of bike touring  is starting tomorrow ... 'cause I'm leavin' on a jet plane ... and flying off to Portland, Oregon.

I say "to my relief" because after last summer's not-so-enjoyable bike trek, I really thought that maybe I would never do another ride.  In the back of my fuzzy low-performing brain I knew that touring is one very big element of my life that I dearly love, but again, last year ...

Fortunately, about six weeks ago, Kim Basinger and I talked about doing a ride somewhere this summer.  Kim and I have done two extended rides together, and with her encouragement I managed to pull my moping self-indulgent head out of my ass and agree to once again "get out on the road".

So we are meeting up in Portland tomorrow and heading out on a two-and-a-half month ride around the Northwest ... Portland, Bend, Crater Lake, Ashland, Eugene, Astoria, Olympic Peninsula, Vancouver Island, Glacier National Park, Banff/Jasper, Vancouver, Seattle.  Or something there abouts.

Kim and I travel quite well together as she is a detail-oriented person, where as my planning skills are at the far (other) end of the "detail-oriented" scale.

It is always nice to get out of the desert heat, although I am not too excited about the predicted overnight mid 30's and rain later this week,

Sooo ... all my bags are packed, I'm ready to go ... 

5 comments:

  1. Hey, good for you, Randy! It sounds like a great trip. We're glad that Kim pulled your head from your nether regions. Good to have a buddy along to brighten the trip, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to the pictures. Ride safe uncle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Randy, I can't adequately describe how happy I am to hear that you are starting a new cycle tour. Hope you find it fun and rewarding! Not sure if you are aware that Paul, Laurel and others from our Bike and Breakfast rides are entering the last 1/3 of their coast-to-coast ride.... ending up in the Pacific Northwest. I'll forward their itinerary soon... maybe your paths will cross :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Randy, I can't adequately describe how happy I am to hear that you are starting a new cycle tour. Hope you find it fun and rewarding! Not sure if you are aware that Paul, Laurel and others from our Bike and Breakfast rides are entering the last 1/3 of their coast-to-coast ride.... ending up in the Pacific Northwest. I'll forward their itinerary soon... maybe your paths will cross :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. NW Weather was beautiful until you arrived, hmmmm. Nonetheless I will be happy to see you and meet Kim. Until soon

    ReplyDelete