Adaptability ... (June 13, 2015)

... or avoidance??

Once again I have gone "off-route" in order to avoid what I perceive to be unnecessary brutal climbing.  The TransAm route in Missouri takes one through the Ozarks in what looks to be nothing but back-road climbs ... climbs that often get into the 8% to 10% grade.  I have been searching out highways that run roughly parallel to the TransAm.   The grades on these highways, while longer, rarely exceed 6%.

I have been following the journal of a guy I met back on my first day in Virgina.  Joel Kampf is an excellent writer, and if you read his posts regarding the Ozarks I think you will see why I am searching out alternative routes.

Yesterday, riding into Rolla, Missouri in a downpour (and with a missing rear brake pad ... damned rumble strips!!), I came upon the Historic U.S. 66 route.  Adventure Cycling has recently been promoting this route as a new path for touring cyclist.  I plan on following this route to Joplin, Missouri, then rejoin the TransAm in the flatness of Kansas.  Sounds like a plan to me ... unless it gets to be too much in the climbing category.

So, time to load up the bike and continue westward.  Rain storms predicted for the next several afternoons, which sounds bad.  Actually, getting soaked feels good after being out in the high heat and humidity.

On a completely different note, I was wondering the other day how the word "noon" became synonymous with 12:00 A.M.  Things I think about while pedaling down the road. I suppose I could Google it and find out,  but that would take the mystery out of it.

Life ain't so great these days, but it does continue ...

1 comment:

  1. I love those "things we think about" while pedaling down the road. I'm a firm believer that the circular, repetitive motion of cycling legs stimulate creative thinking. :)

    I hope you've been successful in minimizing the hills.

    ReplyDelete