I hit 65 ... (August 11, 2013)

Miles per hour ... no; years ... yes.

Three score and five years ago a child was born ... there was no guiding star nor Magi marking the birth, so not much of any magnitude was forthcoming.

65 years old.  Sometimes hard to believe.  Oft times felt to the max. 

Life has been good to me.  Having spent the past two years volunteering at the Tucson Community Food Bank I have come to realize what a fortunate life I have led.  Although there are certainly those who have lead a more comfortable life, I certainly have never faced the economic and social pressures that too many of our fellow citizens face.  Speaking of a comfortable life, I am reminded of the story concerning an accident where an older gentleman was struck by a car while out walking.  A good samaritan offered his coat as a pillow and asked the man if he was comfortable, to which the old man said, "I make a good living".  Old joke ... sorry, we older gentlemen sometimes get distracted.

Travel info ... we are in St. Ignace, MI, which is located on the north end of the Mackinac Bridge, and will be heading into Lower Michigan today.  Spent a wonderful rest day yesterday here and over at Mackinac Island.  Since 1898, motor vehicles have been banned on the island, so the few roads are filled with horse-drawn carriages and wagons, and clogged with bicyclists.  Rather nerve racking sharing a narrow paved road with bike riders who seem to be unaware of others, with new bike riders of all ages who have not mastered the skill of riding in a straight line, and most dangerously, 9 year old boys.  As mentioned above ... I am now 65 and now officially an impatient crabby old codger ... I wish all those people would get off my lawn.

I don't really know what I thought I would be doing or how I would be feeling at 65, but I must say that I have few complaints in life-style and in health.  I am thankful for all that I have ... especially thankful for my family and my friends. In many, many ways I am blessed.

I think it would be appropriate to add ... Life is Good.

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Randy
    Happy Birthday. We are glad that you are spending this good day chasing your magic. Chase it my friend. Run it down!
    On a lighter note 65 is not so bad...how does 41 sound? I hope its sounds good because that is your number now! Remember your 41 of old...you are back!!! (to translate this message your will need a computer geek to help....seek and you will find)

    happy travels
    bill and daun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill, since you are such a cool guy and Mark is no doubt quite busy packing (and re-packing) for their cross country ride, I will ask the geekest guy I know to explain the "41 of old" reference ... Steve, will you do the honors? Or maybe I could ask my Valley of the Sun engineer friends ... Rich, Courtney, Scott, Kevin?? Anyone??

      Delete
    2. Randy - as we say in geek land, that would be 41 'hex'. That stands for hexidecimal, or base 16. So 4 times 16 plus 1 gets you 65 base 10. I'm getting déjà vu from our Thursday coffee talks :-).

      Delete
    3. Clearly there is no explanation for the mind-workings of engineers.

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday old man. It is heartening to know that life is still good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kaff, kaff, kaff...the air is getting a little rich in here...41...gag...too many engineers...could I get some air please?

    Merry Unhappy Birthday to you, Randy.

    ReplyDelete