Life Lesson # 64 (August 7, 2012)

When out bike touring, there are many different methods in charting a course.  Some will lay out an itinerary well in advance of leaving home, some will wake on the morning of the ride and go which ever way the wind is blowing (as Benny told me of a friend of his).

The method Kim and I have chosen, in the quest to stay in the present, is to plan out the day's ride as we go.  Generally, we talk about the day's ride, and where we want to go the next day ... then we spend the evening considering routes for the following day.  Last night I studied the Michigan State Highway map along with the State Bicycling maps to put together a plan.  Guess work all the way as there is only so much one can learn from one-dimensional maps.

So anyway, after having breakfast this morning in a small cafe (heavy on the 1950's memorabilia), we headed over to an adjacent gas station to get some water and miscellaneous snacks for the day's ride.  We were individually cornered by a group of 5 truck drivers who were very interested in our biking travels.  Very good natured guys ... just road-travelers who were interested in our mode of travel.  After a lengthy and enjoyable conversation, one of them asked about our planned travel route for the day.  I told him what I had planned from my hour and a half studies from the night before.  He smiled and said if we had a map he could show us a straight and flat route.  I, being the butt-head that I am, suggested that we had heard about supposedly flat roads before.  He gently and knowingly informed me that he had spent a lifetime hauling goods over these roads and that he knew about hills.  Case closed ... we took the route he suggested ... today's ride may have been the easiest and most enjoyable 68 mile ride we have taken this summer.

Life lesson #64:  know where you want to go (what you wish to achieve), plan it out ... but be knowledgeable enough so as to recognize wise advice and flexible enough so as to adjust your plans.

So today's ride of 68 miles from Hillsdale, MI to Toledo, OH was good.  The real bonus of following the gentleman's advice was a glorious patch of sunflowers along side the roadway.  Kim has mentioned several times that sunflowers are her favorite flower ... I do not know which of us was filled with more joy ... Kim gleefully dancing around the flowers or me watching her gleefully dancing.  Joy is somewhat contagious.

It has been several days since our arrival in Milwaukee (the last posting to this journal).  After the enjoyable afternoon of experiencing downtown Milwaukee, we took the next day very easy ... a short ride to the ferry ... a quick boat ride across Lake Michigan ... and a short ride to a campground in Muskegon, MI.  Maybe a total of 12 miles of bike riding. We followed this easy day with a 54 mile ride to Grand Rapids, MI (another delightful rails-to-trail path), a 68 mile ride to Battle Creek, MI, then a 52 mile ride to Hillsdale, MI.  It has been a few days since those rides, so memory fails me as to specifics of the rides other than the beauty of Southern Michigan, which should be experienced by all.  The small towns one passes through are quite enchanting ... the architecture of the old downtown buildings enthralling.  One particular town stands out ... Homer, MI ... you will just have to see it to understand.

The day of the ride from Muskegon to Grand Rapids did have two occurrences that are easily remembered.  The first was that we met Debbie and Bob Powers for breakfast at a place in Muskegon called "Russ's".  Debbie and Bob are friends that I ride with in Tucson ... sharing time with friends is most enjoyable after being out on the road.  I can not thank them enough for taking the time to drive up to Muskegon and share breakfast with us.  The second item to remember goes like this ... after leaving the restaurant, Kim and I pedaled off toward a rail-to-trail that Bob had recommended.  After riding toward the trail for about 45 minutes, Kim stopped to check the map/GPS.  While she was doing such, I looked into my handle-bar bag and realized that my phone, my wallet (license, credit cards and $300 +/-) and coin purse (yeah, yeah ... I carry a coin purse ... so what!??) were not to be seen.  Left them back at Russ's.  Pardon my choice of words here, but ... "Oh, shit!!!!".  Called Russ's with Kim's phone ... yes, they found the items (back of my mind was screaming, "Oh thank God ... how about the $300??).  About that time, Debbie and Bob came by as we pedaled back toward the restaurant ... saviors ... gave me a quick ride to recover my items ... money was intact ... the waitress who found my things tried to refuse to accept any "thank you money", but I persisted ... 25 cents well spent, eh?

The realization that the end of the ride is near is becoming more-and-more part of our daily conversations.  We are hoping that we might be able to meet-up with McKinley and Patrice (two young ladies Kim rode with back in Oregon).  We are wondering where Andrew might be. Andrew, last we heard, was heading to Washington D.C. on the TransAm trail ... Andrew, Kim and I shared a most enjoyable evening camping along the Madison River back in Montana.  I have been following Frank and Roger's continued travels toward Maine.  It is all coming to a close ... which is both sad and joyful.  Three weeks from today and I will return to Tucson ... sad and joyful.

Which brings me back to the fact that there are life lessons to be learned ... both sad and joyful ... but in the end, life is good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment