Change in direction, change in plans … (June 17)


The return to blue skies and relative warmth (70 +/- degrees) has been a great relief to me.


This morning (Friday, June 17), I am in Mose’s Lake,WA.  Since leaving Cheney Wednesday morning, I have covered the 52 miles to Ritzville and 44 miles to Mose’s Lake.  As I mentioned, my fitness level is pretty good … even with fighting headwinds both days.


Also, as I mentioned, the thought of camping is being ignored which makes for much more comfort.  The down side of this comfort is the cost of staying in hotels.  Inflation has definitely hit the costs of traveling in areas other than fuel costs.  I honestly do not know how families can afford to vacation.  


In Sandpoint I ate in a place specializing in burgers and chicken sandwiches.  Most of the sandwiches were priced around $15, fries at $4.50 and drinks at $4.00 (or more if beer).  At an adjacent table there was a family of two teenagers and parents … their LUNCH probably ran up close to $100!


Back to the cost of comfort.  Hotels that two or three years ago were in the $90 to $100 range now are going for $150+.  Adds up in a hurry … but as I said, I despise the idea of camping.


As I travel down the road, I typically have an idea of overnight towns for the next three nights and make a reservation the previous night for the next night.  When I reached Mose’s Lake, my plan was to ride the next day the 20 mile distance to George, WA, then the 50 miles to Ellensberg the following day.  Other than one hotel in George, there is nothing in between Mose’s Lake and Ellensberg.  So my plan looked very doable.  Problems arose when attempting to book a room in George.  Near George is a popular music venue called The Gorge, a 20,000 seat amphitheater which is hosting a two-day festival this weekend.  The lone hotel did have a room available, but even by my free-spending ways, the $450/night (two night minimum) turned me away.


So I am now changing course and heading south to Othello and Pasco.  Unfortunately this new route will result in having to ride westward along the Columbia River … major, major, major headwinds.  


As of this writing my plan is to visit friends in Bend and Eugene, OR, then fly home on July 4.


I have proved to myself that I am physically able to do this, but the lack of enjoyment and the resulting mounting expenses compels me to return home.  I can’t complain about the experiences, but I just can’t afford the expenses.


Oh well, at least I can enjoy the warmth of blue skies.





No comments:

Post a Comment